[mythtv-users] Frontend hangs on playing recordings from a channel

aeby at graeff.com aeby at graeff.com
Tue Sep 7 21:35:06 UTC 2010

On 09/07/2010 10:40 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> My best guess is that the problem is the ancient version of the ffmpeg
> libraries used by the ancient version of MythTV.

Well, I didn't know a two years old software release was actually ancient :-)

>  (Remember that the
> ffmpeg libs used in 0.21 came from /before/ the 0.21 release

That's a real good point. However, running the stream through this ancient
ffmpeg version seems to work fine on command line.

> On the bright side, using Mythbuntu ( http://www.mythbuntu.org/ ), you
> could roll out an all-new version to all your systems rather
> quickly

I'm pretty sure, people would not like if I replaced whatever they run by
mythbuntu - we are not only talking about dedicated media boxes (on those,
minimyth does a good job) :-(

And even installing mythbuntu on 7 or 8 boxes, getting everything
working again on the frontend side and getting a number of receivers up and working
again in such a short time no one misses an episode of his/her favorite series
is a real challenge.

While MythTV is a really great package, upgrading it has always been
a real nightmare due to its version dependency between backend and frontend.

Ok, so I consider this unsolveable at the moment and implement a workaround
(like automatically making recordings appear in the Media/Video module where
I can use ancient xine to play it, or using ancient ffmpeg to translate it
into something ancient MythTV will play)

Sorry for the sarcasm, I can't help it. Your estimate of the situation was
appreciated, anyway, thanks!

Best regards,
Tom