[mythtv-users] Aspect ration wierdness?

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 16:13:53 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 2:29 AM, Jan Johansson <j2 at mupp.net> wrote:
> (Trunk, Ubuntu 10.4, PVR350)
>

> So, my Cable provider gave me a new STB (Motorola VIP 1929) when my old one
> died, and I am having aspect ratio problems.
>
> I have tried all the settings in the box (One setting, two choises) and none
> makes any difference.
>

> 4:3 programming looks fine.
>
> 16:9 gets compressed into 4:3. (But, when connected straight to the TV,
> everything works nicely)
>

> So, what I would LIKE to do as a remedy is have a H-stretch that does NOT
> increase V-size at all. Is that possible?
>
> Or better yet, does someone have an idea on why this is happening?

Have you checked your display size settings in xorg.conf?  I recently
put together a new system and had some similar issues (4:3 would play
back fine, 16:9 would be distorted with black bars above and below the
image).  I followed the wiki page of defining a display size and also
defining dpi and everything worked.

Also, when you say that you changed the settings in the STB, how
exactly did you do that?  Did you go into the service by turning off
the box and holding select when turning it on (or something like
that)?