[mythtv-users] [0.23] audio goes suddently out of sync

kurvanov at yahoo.com kurvanov at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 7 07:39:46 UTC 2010

Dear all myth users,

I have build my first HTPC based on the following hardware :
Antec Fusion Remote Black
Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H (NVIDIA GeForce 7100)
 Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200
 Western Digital Caviar SE16 500 Go 7200 RPM 16 Mo Serial ATA II
 Terractec Cinergy HT PCI(TV board, CX88 based)
17'' LCD display for now, but, later, I would like to use my Samsung LE40C630
LCD TV screen.

I have some programming knowledge in C / VB but I'm really new to linux world. I
have installed the latest mythbuntu distribution that includes 0.23 version.

I could configure everything in order to watch liveTV with sound and I must say
this was not easy. But now I get stuck with a problem that I can't understand :
In mythtv, I setup Video card using V4L, /DEV/DSP1,MPEG-4 encoding,Alsa:default
mixer, MPEG-4 encoding, MP3 at  48kHz.
I use the composite input of my TV board on which I have connected my analog
satellite receiver.This is as if I would read from an old VHS video recorder.
When I start watching liveTV, everything goes well (image and sound are well
synchronised) but, after a short while (3-4 mins), the image continues whereas
the sound jumps back a little bit and repeat the last 2-3 seconds and then
continues. From that moment, as you imagine, sound and image are out of sync.
Furthermore, the aspect ration of the liveTv image is sporadically changing back
ond forth from 4:3 to 16:9 during the same TV show.
The only suspicious message I see in the log is something like "Strange error,
flushing buffer" (sorry I'm not in front of my machine right now)

I could post any other usefull information concerning my system but I don't know
what would be interesting and I feel my post is long enough for now

I thank your very much for any help you would give me
best regards