[mythtv-users] Is Mythtv still viable on the Fedora

David Highley dhighley at highley-recommended.com
Tue Sep 7 02:14:57 UTC 2010

"Another Sillyname wrote:"

> On 6 September 2010 23:24, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-09-06 at 14:11 -0700, David Highley wrote:
> >> Since Mythtv does not work with pulse audio and the current suggestions
> >> are to disable or remove pulse audio when running on a Fedora
> >> distribution does it still make sense to try and get it to work on a
> >> Fedora distribution? I guess I'm asking what is the development
> >> direction? Another issue is selinux support. I have submitted and had
> >> several changes made that get the web to mostly work with selinux on
> >> Fedora but it seems to get periodically broken again. What is the
> >> development direction in this area? Finally it is rumored that Ceton is
> >> working with Mythtv development to support the new cable cards. Since
> >> all communications surrounding the advent of the cable tuner cards seems
> >> to be cloaked in rumors what can the user community expect for
> >> functionality?
> >
> > SELinux patches are welcome, but we have no great interest in it since
> > MythTV and MythWeb are not secure against the level of attack that
> > SELinux secures against. You should not open up a MythTV box to the
> > internet except via a VPN shared with at most your significant other.

Box is not directly exposed to the open internet, but that does not mean
that one should not use reasonable security.

> > Pulse is highly discouraged, and will be for the foreseeable future
> > as it simply does not allow high quality audio playback. This isn't
> > a limitation of MythTV's interaction but a limitation of pulse audio.
> > Our fondest hope is that the guys behind Fedora and Ubuntu will come
> > to their senses and remove all remnants of this abomination from
> > their distributions. MythTV 0.23 has support for the "pulse:" audio
> > output method which is of acceptable quality to many. It will have
> > somewhat better A/V sync in the next release. As long as you don't
> > make the mistake of outputting to pulse's ALSA emulation layer the
> > audio will be no worse than any other player's pulse audio.

OK, I have Mythtv 0.23-8 installed on a Fedora 12 and a Fedora 13 system
and neither system has audio using the frontend for play back. I have
tried the environment variable and changing the general audio setting
to pulseaudio:default. Statements like the one here lead me to
believe that the platform is not viable for Mythtv. I have a 7.1 channel
platinum audigy board with Logitech speakers and the audio seems fine.
The above quality statement may apply to digital AVC3 and other digital
sources.

> > Ceton has provided me with a card and some advice. I'm working on
> > adding support in my spare time. My spare time is limited, but I'm
> > sure we'll have stable support by the New Year's Eve release, and
> > unstable support long before that.

OK, but will the card be able to work with any DRM protected content? If
so under what conditions?