[mythtv-users] Is Mythtv still viable on the Fedora distribution?

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon Sep 6 22:24:41 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-09-06 at 14:11 -0700, David Highley wrote:
> Since Mythtv does not work with pulse audio and the current suggestions
> are to disable or remove pulse audio when running on a Fedora
> distribution does it still make sense to try and get it to work on a
> Fedora distribution? I guess I'm asking what is the development
> direction? Another issue is selinux support. I have submitted and had
> several changes made that get the web to mostly work with selinux on
> Fedora but it seems to get periodically broken again. What is the
> development direction in this area? Finally it is rumored that Ceton is
> working with Mythtv development to support the new cable cards. Since
> all communications surrounding the advent of the cable tuner cards seems
> to be cloaked in rumors what can the user community expect for
> functionality?

SELinux patches are welcome, but we have no great interest in it since
MythTV and MythWeb are not secure against the level of attack that
SELinux secures against. You should not open up a MythTV box to the
internet except via a VPN shared with at most your significant other.

Pulse is highly discouraged, and will be for the foreseeable future
as it simply does not allow high quality audio playback. This isn't
a limitation of MythTV's interaction but a limitation of pulse audio.
Our fondest hope is that the guys behind Fedora and Ubuntu will come
to their senses and remove all remnants of this abomination from
their distributions. MythTV 0.23 has support for the "pulse:" audio
output method which is of acceptable quality to many. It will have
somewhat better A/V sync in the next release. As long as you don't
make the mistake of outputting to pulse's ALSA emulation layer the
audio will be no worse than any other player's pulse audio.

Ceton has provided me with a card and some advice. I'm working on
adding support in my spare time. My spare time is limited, but I'm
sure we'll have stable support by the New Year's Eve release, and
unstable support long before that.

-- Daniel