[mythtv-users] Hardware for MythTV

Diego Torres torres.diego at ttcpl.com.au
Mon Sep 6 21:37:35 UTC 2010

> Think about if you want to use your main machine, or dedicated BE if
> you go that route, as anything else, like a household
> NAS server, and how much disk capacity you might need. If you want
> to run VMs on this machine, take that into
> consideration as well.
>
> I believe in the "central machine" concept, but others like the
> separate small low-power boxes approach. It's up to you,
> and highly dependent on your needs and budget.

I too suggest you think about a barebones vm server. Gives you the
ability to run as many machines as you want, try new things, revert
upgrades or upgrade the actual server without disturbing anything.

I used to have a separate low power box for firewall, asterisk and
myth BE. Between the sw and hw upgrades it was a nightmare .  With the
new setup I can upgrade to a whole new physical machine within a
couple of hours most of which is copying the vms.

You can start with an "entry level" server and then upgrade. I started
with a $700 (aud) 1.6 ghz dualcore with 1 gb ram and 320 gb hdd.

Diego