[mythtv-users] Need help with FE font problems

Shocky Shocky1 at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Sep 6 16:17:23 UTC 2010

On September 5, 2010 10:08:12 am Craig Huff wrote:
> I have my BE/FE set up with a CRT monitor running 1280 x 1024.
>
> I have <Option "DPI" "100x100"?> in my xorg.conf (without the angle
>  brackets!).
>
> Problem #1: Even if I go in to the frontend setup and shrink the fonts
> to 2, 4, and 6 instead of 6, 8, and 10, the text is too long in
> numerous places for the whole message to fit.  This appears to be true
> for all of the themes I have tried, including Terra (Widescreen),
> MythCenter-wide (Widescreen), and MythCenter.
>
> For example, when setting up a recording, in the Schedule Options
> screen, for the duplicates control, all I can see is "Match duplicates
> using subtitle &...", "Match duplicates using subtitle th...", etc.
>
> What (if anything) haven't I adjusted that will make the entire message
>  fit?
>

> Problem #2: Well, really it may be just an observation/annoyance,
> unless it bears on Problem #1 above.  When I look at the messages put
> in the log for mythfrontend, there are a _lot_ of them like the
> following:
>
> 2010-09-05 10:56:51.223 MythFontProperties, Error: Failed to load
> 'Arial', got 'Liberation Sans' instead
>                         Location: /usr/share/mythtv/themes/Terra/base.xml @
>  14 Name: 'baselarge'       Type: 'font'
> 2010-09-05 10:56:51.228 MythFontProperties, Error: Failed to load
> 'Arial', got 'Liberation Sans' instead
>                         Location: /usr/share/mythtv/themes/Terra/base.xml @
>  18 Name: 'baseextralarge'  Type: 'font'
>
> How do I satisfy the failed searching for Arial fonts?
>
> Craig.

I have the same problems, both #1 and #2.

For #1, even in cases where there is lots of room on the screen, it won't use
it. This seems like a UI layout problem, that the space for the messages is in
many cases unnecessarily restricted. Not sure if there's any way to fix it
without redesigning the layout of the problematic screens.

For #2, I can't find a package on Mandriva 2010.0 that provides the MS fonts. I
know there are other ways to get them. But it makes me wonder, since MythTV is
Linux based, why not just make it use the Liberation fonts, and not bother
with the warning. It seems like that should be a simple fix.

Shocky