[mythtv-users] TV Tuners in MythTV for Windows

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Sep 6 05:57:13 UTC 2010

  On 9/6/2010 01:26, Robert Johnston wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 23:12, Raymond Wagner<raymond at wagnerrp.com>  wrote:
>>   On 9/6/2010 00:30, Overlord wrote:
>>> I'm looking to make an htpc using xbmc and mythbox
>>>
>> Please reconsider this.  The 'mythbox' scripts ignore the database schema
>> versioning, and XBMC bypasses the backend protocol checks.
> XBMC's built-in support uses the (well maintained) libcmyth library as
> a base, doing what it can to use version-specific calls to myth's
> ever-changing interface, and conforming to the Myth backend protocol
> as much as possible, even going so far as to maintain a whole slew of
> protocol options to remain compatible with older backend protocols.

The last protocol update libcmyth got was for revision 44 almost a year
and a half ago.  That means it has not been maintained since before the
0.22 release.  Since then, there have been changes to the current
protocol that will break it.  The fact that it sets no upper bounds, and
will happily connect to any future version of mythbackend, is a very
dangerous thing.

The same goes for the raw database access it and 'mythbox' performs with
no checks on database schemas.