[mythtv-users] HD playback on Myth, 0-23-fixes

Liam Friel liam.friel at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 11:16:18 UTC 2010

Hi,

bit of an issue and wondering where to start looking.

I had some trouble with Myth 0.22 on Ubuntu 9.10 (not working nicely with
HVR4000 card for DVB-T)

These troubles were fixed by upgrading to 0-23-fixes branch (which I built
locally from source).

Now I have the backend working nicely, unified DVB-T and DVB-S/S2 services:
apart from one issue.

HD (I am in Ireland, so BBC-HD and ITV HD available on satellite) does not
playback nicely, either live tv on the frontend, or playing back a recording
on the frontend.

I get lots of "NVP: prebuffering pause" messages.

The frontend is an Atom 330 based system, VDPAU available etc. Frontend is
on GBIt wired network from backend.

The frontend is used to run XBMC mainly, and XBMC (9.11 release) will
browse/play Myth recordings fine via UPnP. Myth HD recordings streamed from
the backend to XBMC playback (almost) perfectly - there are some very brief
audio dropouts from time to time. But entirely watchable.

Myth HD recordings or live TV will not play at all properly in a
mythfrontend running on the same machine: you get 2 seconds of AV, then 2
seconds pause for "prebuffering", etc.

So the recordings are fine, but frontend won't play them back nicely.

Any troubleshooting hints?

Ta
Liam