[mythtv-users] Just upgraded one front end from .23-fixes to .23.1 now broken

Paul Gray lists at laser-point.co.uk
Sat Sep 4 11:02:09 UTC 2010

On 04/09/2010 10:09, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 09/04/2010 04:00 AM, Paul Gray wrote:
>>> No, you just have to upgrade /all/ of your systems equally. 0.23.1 is
>>> just an semi-arbitrary point within 0.23-fixes. If you don't upgrade
>>> your backend /past/ that point, it can not communicate with a 0.23.1
>>> frontend or backend.
>>>
>>> That said, the only truly supported configuration is to use the exact
>>> same revision SVN revision and branch on all systems. So, really, you
>>> should be using 0.23-fixes r25397--which /is/ 0.23.1--on all systems or
>>> you should use 0.23-fixes r26057 (most current revision of 0.23-fixes)
>>> on all systems or...
>> I never realised that before. I'd imagine that running exactly the same
>> version on all systems would be infeasible for a large proportion of
>> users. In my case, for example, I use opensuse packages for BE, and
>> minimyth for FE. There's no synchronisation between those releases
>> as far as I know. You just get a random selection of 0.23-fixes
>> revisions on each that probably rarely correspond. This is the first
>> case that I've seen where the disparity has caused a problem.
>
> Generally, we try to make different revisions across a release number
> work with each other, but we don't guarantee that they will. If there's
> ever a non-compatible change in the -fixes branch, the plan is to update
> the release number--that's actually where 0.23.1 came from.
>
> So, with that in mind, you can choose to run differing revisions of
> 0.23-fixes on your systems. However, you must run compatible
> revisions--so that means all revisions must be within the 0.23 release
> range or within the 0.23.1 release range.
>
> See http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.23 and
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.23.1 for revision number
> ranges.

Oh okay, makes sense: you try to keep compatibility when you can. It's
a sign that you succeed in doing so that I've not had a problem up
until now. And also, seeing the extra digit in the version did forewarn
me, so that policy worked too.

And I can see it might be hard to fix a bug in the protocol without
changing the protocol. :-)

Paul.