[mythtv-users] Who's going to be the first?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Sep 3 17:23:14 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 11:35:30AM -0400, MacNean Tyrrell wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 9:18 PM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca>
> > wrote:
[deletia]

> > > What dream world do you live in?  The real world is overrun with an
> > alphabet soup of video and audio formats and technologies.  I bought a

    The "dream world" populated by VLC, Plex and the Popcorn hour.

[deletia]
> > format
> > >
> > > You're long on generalities and devoid of any specifics--I don't think
> > you have any experience whatsoever.  Uninformed Apple-bashing is a hobby for
> > you, is it?

     You're funny. Poor wounded fanboy.

> > I could run windows movie maker in wine if I wanted - get about the
> > same biased result....

     Mini's used to be the bee's knees for Myth frontend use. They have since been
eclipsed by other PCs and (older ones) made obsolete by newer recording devices. So
that means that some of us have these things sitting around otherwise not doing anything.

> Never messed with Imovie myself.  But Kdenlive (sorry not at home i think
> that's how it's spelled) is an excellent Video Editor For Linux.  To me it
> works better than Movie Maker and has more options.  Just my 2cents tho.

    Yes, kdenlive looks very promising but there are a lot of features (like
transitions and titles) that haven't been implemented yet. It's very much
a work in progress.

    There are a lot of cheap Windows programs that have similar features to iMovie.
The missus happily used them before finally taking posession of one of my Macs. She's
the family video editor and she's pretty indifferent to iMovie: neither likes nor
dislikes it compared to what she was using before (on Windows).