[mythtv-users] Can I mythexport without transcoding?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 16:44:19 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 12:05 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> On Friday, September 03, 2010 09:58:47 am John Baab wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 11:53 AM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I'd like a way to export my recordings to an RSS feed I could subscribe
> > > to from another computer. I want the exports to retain their default
> > > resolution / bitrate / etc and since they're MPG I assume they will
> play
> > > on other Windows / Linux / Mac machines without issue.  I've
> > > successfully mythexported recordings to iPod format but it appears that
> > > mythexport sends everything through ffmpeg and transcodes it. Is there
> > > way to use mythexport (I'm open to other methods) to create a
> > > non-transcoded RSS feed?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
>
> > The symlink option should work for you.  Just be careful about how
> > much data you may be pushing around.
>

> Indeed, if this is for use on your local network you should be OK.
>
> But most residential internet accounts have glacial outbound speeds,
> measured in bits per fortnight. If you plan to export
> video to the outside world you may need to upgrade to a business class
> account and pay for reasonable upstream bandwidth.
>
> Transcoding is a way to reduce the amount of data you need to export.
>
> Running a server of any sort often violates the TOS for residential
> accounts, just something to be aware of.

Thanks. What is this symlink option you speak of?  I see that mythexport
does create one called mythexport which just links to the export directory.
If I could symlink to the recordings but retain the recording info in an rss
feed that would be nice.

And I understand the ramifications of doing this over the internet, 99% of
my recordings are H.264 and huge, so I don't plan on going that route. I
don't have a real end goal yet, this is more of a what-can-I-do-with-Myth
kind of thing. One thing I'm trying is to subscribe to my mythexport feed
via Mirobridge on another Myth box, just to see how well it works.

On another note, the On The Go recordings sounds close to what I want but it
doesn't put it in RSS feed or easily "subscribable' format, it just dumps
the shows to files that I then need to hit with mythimport.

One could theoretically write an RSS interface to mythweb and that might be
exactly what I'd need but I can't write code so that's out. Perhaps a
feature request?