[mythtv-users] Who's going to be the first?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Sep 2 19:11:25 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 02, 2010 at 04:31:56PM +0100, Simon Hobson wrote:
> jedi wrote:
>
> >    Even something as simple as some home videos can be legacy content.
> >
> >    Apple's approach to content is infact user hostile when it comes to
> >basic simple things that an end user might have lying around. You don't
> >have to be a "geek" to have some video files that you might have created
> >or saved or gotten from someone else.
>
> Ahh, but Apple have that sewn up too - you import it into iMovie,

    No you don't. iMovie just barfs on it.

    Most people aren't in a good position to see this for themselves.

> export it in the right format, and then stream it through your Apple
> TV. I think that we can expect updates to all the relevant i<stuff>
> to add the right support bits, if it's not already there, so once
> you have it on your computer it's "one click" to make it available
> to your Apple TV.

    Any device that can read a NAS fileshare already does it. Just drop
it in the right location and all of your work is done. You don't have to
"import" anything or "transcode" anything. It kind of "just works".

    That is the beauty of open systems and hardware and software that are
designed to just play whatever you happen to have (VLC, popcorn hour, any
Windows/Linux equivalent of iMovie).

[deletia]