[mythtv-users] Upmix required for 2ch AAC?

Dave Badia dbadia at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 18:03:36 UTC 2010

Hi -
I'm running 23.1 fixes 25574M on gentoo with a 2.6.31.6 vanilla
kernel.  I'm using digial out on turtle beach soundcard with 6 channel
output configured, AC3 passthrough enabled, no advanced settings, and
myth volume disabled,   I have some content with with a 2 channel AAC
encoded soundtrack, but during playback it is silent unless I enabled
5.1 upmix in mythtv.  From the logs it looks like enabling upmix
forces a transcode to AC3.  I believe having upmix off should result
in the decoding of ACC to PCM which would then be sent to the
receiver, but I'm not quite sure how this is supposed to work or where
it's going wrong.

Playback of this content works fine on another frontend which is setup
with analog out and default settings, so the AAC audio stream seems
valid..  Trying to determine if this is 1) intended behavior 2)
misconfiguration on my part or 3) a bug.

Thanks for the help
Dave