[mythtv-users] Who's going to be the first?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Sep 2 15:25:42 UTC 2010

On Thursday, September 02, 2010 09:10:57 am Atlanta Geek wrote:
> I agree with everything you said.
> I just bring up netflix because I thought that if they support hulu
> they support netflix.

Hulu is "in the clear", which is why you can set up a Linux-only system to watch it.

Netflix is DRMed, and there is no Linux way to decrypt it. Even though things like the Roku *run* Linux, there is no open
source DRM solution, and the clear files are not available to the Linux OS, which is understandable.

After all, we all know that Linux users are "just a bunch of pirates".

> Im guessing that appleTV is pretty close to cost for them and that
> theyre trying to get itunes just a button away in the home.

True. I don't know how effective it will be. In spite of DISH's best efforts, I have never purchased any PPV or OD content
from them. I notice the "On-Demand" button on the remote is large and in the center, while things like the program guide
are small and off-center.

> We have done itunes before.  Shows that are no longer on hulu and we
> wanted to watch them before we continued on  with a series then itunes
> was a good option. These are the hoops I jump through so I dont have
> to pay $70for cable/month.  An occasional 0.99 cent show  (less than
> 10 a month is my definition) to fill in the holes along with Hulu
> seems like a decent solution.

The main thing keeping me tethered to a CATV/Satellite system is real-time news like CNN. You can get CNN material free on
the net, but not as it airs. It's also the only thing I ever use LiveTV with Myth for.

Plus, I can get better quality than with Netflix. Although Netflix is darn close to DVD quality, it's not 1080, and is not
likely to be anytime soon.