[mythtv-users] Who's going to be the first?

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Thu Sep 2 14:16:06 UTC 2010

At 8:36 AM -0500 9/2/10, jedi wrote:
>On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 09:04:10PM -0400, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>
> > I know it's shocking, Brian, but Apple was not thinking of you when they created this.  In Job's presentation, he lists a series of factors that they feel are important to potential customers.  (You weren't mentioned, sorry.)  They are:
>
>    Of course Jobs doesn't have people with their own stuff in mind. He
>wants everyone to buy all of their stuff from him. This device of his is
>built with that in mind.
>
>    You don't have to be a "geek" to have legacy content.

Did it come as an epiphany to you that Apple is a profit-seeking corporation?  Of course they want to create a system that puts bucks in their pocket.  Cable and satellite companies have users locked into their current ecosystem--Apple wants to get 'liberate' a bunch of those customers *and* the enormous dollar stream they represent.  The new Apple TV _may_ be sufficient to entice a decent-size segment of that population.  Apple has sunk a billion dollars on their new monster data centre.  At least part of that has to be to support this business.

Of course you are a geek if you have "legacy content".  Most of the population just wants to plop down and have some mindless entertainment with a minimum of hassle. So far, the masses have not adopted any other streaming or computer-based system.  It will be fun to see if Apple can attract enough people to make this a go.

Craig