[mythtv-users] Who's going to be the first?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Sep 2 01:23:04 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 8:52 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 01, 2010 06:30:07 pm Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> On 2 September 2010 09:36, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>> > The operative word there is "looks".
>> >
>> > I just don't see what's so great about it. For the same money you can get
>> > many units that are not locked down, and have internal storage as well.
>>
>> Really? which one can you get ?
>
> I have a couple of these:
>
> http://www.myka.tv/buy.html?page=shop.browse&category_id=6
>
> They will handle MKV, as well as ISOs, VOBs, VIDEO_TS directories, any codec or container I've tried, basically anything I
> have ever thrown at it works. Even m2ts BR rips play just fine.
>
> Not limited to 720p either.
>
> Also works with UPnP/DLNA servers, so it can do Netflix with PlayOn.
>
> IOW, MUCH more capable than the Apple unit appears to be, for less money. Even an available SDK, you're not likely to get
> that from Apple.

I really do need to get one of these things still as well. But then
I'd have to tinker with it. (See prior mail about lacking spare time).
:)

> There's the Popcorn Hour, and many other NMTs, the WD unit, and others.
>
> So it's typical Apple, over-priced and limited capability.

One man's "limited capability" is another man's "just works without
having to screw around with it". ;)

> Apple does do some things right, but having been burned twice by their abandoning support for products I have purchased, I
> tend to be leery. Having a product I bought less than 5 years ago no longer supported by their OS just bothers me (G5
> iMac).

No longer supported by the very latest version of their OS is
different from not supported at all though. Apple still provides
updates for Mac OS X 10.5, which runs just fine on my PowerBook G4. My
son actually uses it quite often for assorted surfing (which
translates primarily to flash-based kids games at various sites). Even
my old PowerMac G4 tower that shipped in August of 2002, with Mac OS X
10.0, iirc, still runs 10.5 quite well for such an ancient beast. I
don't see a problem with not supporting relatively ancient hardware on
the very latest shiniest version of an operating system. Even in
Fedora-land, we've dropped support for anything that doesn't support
the full i686 instruction set (as well as dropping ppc support
entirely). I'd rather have current and popular hardware better
supported by the latest and greatest software than time and effort be
wasted supporting old clunkers. :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com