[mythtv-users] Who's going to be the first?

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Thu Sep 2 01:04:10 UTC 2010

At 5:36 PM -0600 9/1/10, Brian Wood wrote:
>On Wednesday, September 01, 2010 05:26:52 pm Gavin Hurlbut wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:

>> > It says right on the specs page that its an A4 proc.
>> >
>> > I already plan to buy one, but not for anything mythtv-related.
>>
>> Someone's an Apple fan-boy :)
>>
>> It's a shame it seems to be iLocked like all else recent from apple.  That
>> toy could be so useful otherwise.  Still looks like a cool toy if you have
>> a need for it.
>
>The operative word there is "looks".
>
>I just don't see what's so great about it. For the same money you can get many units that are not locked down, and have
>internal storage as well.
>
>Other than the physical form-factor, what's the big deal? The ability to over-pay for programming and have Apple tell you
>what you can and can't do?
>
>Apple hype only goes so far, sooner or later you have to deliver the goods.

I know it's shocking, Brian, but Apple was not thinking of you when they created this.  In Job's presentation, he lists a series of factors that they feel are important to potential customers.  (You weren't mentioned, sorry.)  They are:

-Hollywood movies and TV Shows
-Everything in HD
-Lower prices for content
-Don't want a computer
-Don't want to manage storage
-Don't want syncing
-Silent, cool and small

Us geeks don't see 4-6 as problems; the great unwashed is very different.

The new Apple TV *may* be easy enough to use to break through to a mainstream market.  (The cool, hip factor spilling over from the iPod, iPhone, and iPad and their reputation for ease of use might help them get a foot in the door.)  They want to get people to get their entertainment through their system rather than cable or satellite.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out--it is far from a certain bet.

Craig