[mythtv-users] Who's going to be the first?

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 00:21:55 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> stereo downstairs too. Sure, I could get a squeeze player or
> something. But its nowhere near as tightly integrated as iTunes, and
> iPhone and an AppleTV. So I guess for me, its more just an
> AppleMusicOutputDevice than an AppleTV, with the added bonus that it
> can also do other things, if I want.

Jarod, can I suggest trying the softsqueeze player and adding that to
your front ends and a having the squeezeserver on your backend.  I did
this recently and it works great for playing music through my stereo.
I purchased the iPeng app for my iPhone, which also works on  iPadsl
and the whole thing works exceedingly well.  You don't get
visualizations, although I know there is an unofficial plug-in to
allow that for myth that I have not had the time to try and install
but would probably be trivial for you.  And you also can access it via
a web-based interface if you don't want to pay the $10 for iPeng.  I
have no connection to iPeng's developer, but I do find it to work well
and recommend it (which is saying a bit being as, with a few
exceptions, all my iPhone apps are free).

Granted, the interface is not as nice as what I imagine the new Apple
TV interface to be, but you can also get music streaming with a pretty
good interface to every frontend for free (or $10 if you want the
iPeng app).