[mythtv-users] 1.6GHz Intel Atom as a SD-only backend?

Robert Siebert trebor_s at web.de
Wed Sep 1 15:30:56 UTC 2010

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 08:07:29 -0700, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>    I'm wondering if anyone has experience using an Intel Atom as a
> backend for standard definition only. Any problems?
>
>    I've mostly shifted to DirercTV and just use their recorder for the
> house but I don't have access to that in my office. I was thinking
> about setting up Myth to use my HDHR which still gets local channels
> off the cable. It's only going to record a few shows a night, mostly
> Letterman, Ferguson and maybe 1 or 2 network shows. I'll use external
> USB storage for the video.
>
>    This machine will not be used as a frontend. Backend _only_.
>
>    I had an old PowerPC-based Mac Mini which worked fine but may have
> bot the dust so if I cannot get it working I wanted to buy something
> _really_ cheap. I suspect this will work and am just looking for
> anyone who knows differently.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Hi Mark,

I use my Atom (buts its a dual 1,6GHz) as backend and frontend to watch
videos, TV, music, read the news via MythTV. 2GB RAM, 1,35TB storage.
It also records the TV-shows and checks them for commercial. In
parallel the system is running full KDE with bittorrent client. It is
also a ftp-, samba-, ssh-server and hosts websites for some friends.

Now the good part. The system runs fine, no glitches, LiveTV is smooth
(even during commercial checking) and the system is usually at 10-15%
load (without commercial checking). Might be a little bit higher with a
single Atom. So go ahead and get it. I would still prefer the dual Atom.
Its only a few euros more. I have not regred it once.

Best regards

Robert S