[mythtv-users] Mythexport sssssllllllloooooooowwwwww

Diego Torres torres.diego at ttcpl.com.au
Wed Sep 1 08:14:09 UTC 2010

Thanks mate, that was it... sort of.

I added '-threads 0'  and that made all four cores to be utilized.
At first I realized that there is a "multiple threading" checkbox on
myth export and used
that . But it adds '-threads 2' to the command so it only uses two
cores.

With '-threads 0' on both passes it only took 1.5 hours for the first
pass and 1 hour to for the second pass.
Still not as fast as Airvideo but a heck of a lot faster than before.

The only things I noticed are:
- The 1 GB RAM was being used with the SWAP going to 200MB or so. I
upped the memory to 2GB and it still used it all but did not use swap.
- Even though all 4 cores are being used, none are used more than 80%
and there is always one that
oscillates between 30 and 80%. With Airvideo all 4 cores are pretty
much pegged at 80% the whole time.
- I am  guessing that the CPU does not go to 100% because of I/O
bottlenecks. It could be that the 500GB IDE HDD /controller combo
just can't keep up with ffmpeg using all four cores.
- The output file is twice as big as Airvideo's so there is definetely
a mismatch on the settings. I need to investigate that.
- I realized that myth export uses a two pass approach whilst Airvideo
uses a one pass approach
(because the output file starts to fill up immediately).  Doing some
reading on the ffmpeg lit it says that a two pass
approach is required with a Variable Bit Rate and in general is
recommended for quality output.
I reckon the quality from airvideo's one pass is more than good for
the ipad so I will try hacking the script (time permittiing) to do a
one pass only
and compare the conversion time.

Cheers and thanks again.

Diego