[mythtv-users] Better listings for Schedules Direct users. Free! (was Re: another scheduling strangeness/question)

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Wed Sep 1 06:50:53 UTC 2010

On 8/31/10 4:50 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> And, now it's time to come clean.  What I hadn't said is that we
> actually have full support for grabbing all days of listings data from
> TMS in a single pull.  It's been this way for quite some time (including
> in 0.23-fixes, and possibly even 0.22-fixes).
>
> After discussion with some of the Schedules Direct board and a lot of
> effort, including testing, by people such as Robert Eden and Chris
> Petersen, we've decided to "advertise" this approach.  Since it works in
> 0.23-fixes as well as trunk, users may enable its use immediately.
>
> However, use of --dd-grab-all has not been optimized, so it can take
> significantly more CPU and RAM than a "normal" run of mythfilldatabase.
> Users with resource-limited backend systems may not be able to use the
> argument.  We also ask that those users who cannot use --dd-grab-all do
> not use --refresh-all, either.  Instead, they should run with default
> refresh options.

*snip*

Neat!  For the additional data point, here are my results:

I ran it on my combo machine, which consists of:

C2D 8400
2 gig RAM
mythbackend version: branches/release-0-22-fixes [22594]
Mythbuntu 9.10 64-bit install (if it's not broke yet...)

(Was built before VDPAU existed)

and the only real thing I noticed was that the load average went up to
0.25 (normally around .01 to nada when idle).

The SQL server is a separate machine all together.  All told, it took
less than a minute to run.

I call this a shiny thing to use.  Thanks for the info!