[mythtv-users] mythbackend crashes every 6-7 hours

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Sun Oct 31 21:50:56 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 20:49 +0000, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

> myth does not have a memory leak here.

What you mean is that myth does not have a memory leak for your
use-case.  You cannot of course know for sure that myth doesn't have a
memory leak for some use-case which does not apply to you.

> I use the SVN version, and it is compiled with debug switched on.
> It sits on about 700M of virtual memory and about 3% CPU, but I have a
> fast CPU and my mythfrontend is on a different PC.

And again, doesn't leak for _your_use-case_.  That of course doesn't
mean that OP's use-case doesn't follow some different code path that is
leaking memory.

> If you want to track this down, I would try the same, get the SVN
> version, compile it in debug mode.

Well, no.  The right way to track it down has already been suggested and
that's to actually audit the memory use with a tool like valgrind.
Simply switching to a different tool does neither prove nor disprove
that the previous tool was faulty and leaves you guessing, at best.

b.