[mythtv-users] mythbackend crashes every 6-7 hours

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Sun Oct 31 10:10:26 UTC 2010

On 31/10/10 08:35, Rob Verduijn wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've spend some time awake when the folks we're sleeping.
> Ran the memory stress test and guess what.......ZERO!!! ERRORS
> Over one hour wasted.
>
> The physical ram is OK.
>
> I will perform no more hardware related tests that are based on
> assumptions or gut feelings.
>
> Sorry about that I get cranky when I do not get enough sleep.
>
> I'm not running trunk builds.
> I'm running packages from the packman repository.
> http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/11.3
>
> Rob Verduijn

Running a memory stress test for only one hour is unlikely to find the
fault, I've run stress tests for 24 hours with no errors but stress the
memory using a real world application like a large compile and it
randomly fails every time. Often the only way to be sure is to swap out
the memory sticks one by one until you find the faulty one.

If you are sure your hardware is not faulty and the problem is due to a
leak then the best way to get it fixed is to run the backend under
valgrid under the same conditions that causes the problem and post the logs.

Paul H.