[mythtv-users] Report: Watch out! UB435-Q V2 is NOT the same as UB435-Q

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Oct 29 19:57:23 UTC 2010

On Oct 29, 2010, at 2:37 PM, Devin Heitmueller wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:

>>> Nah, I'd expect to see way more spew than that if the stick was
>>> properly brought up, and the 'ancillary' stuff is unexpected. Means
>>> the quick hack patch isn't enough to get it working. Someone with the
>>> stick is going to have to experiment. Or they could guilt me into
>>> working on it by sending me a stick too (though I'm already backlogged
>>> with other hardware I really ought to be working on first...). ;)
>>
>> So a spot of bad news here... I've been poking at one of Gavin's sticks inside a VM he set up for me, simultaneous with talking to one of the upstream em28xx driver authors. We now have a very good understanding of why the stick isn't working.
>>
>> All known prior em28xx-based tuner sticks have had at least one isochronous usb endpoint, with a max packet size of 940 bytes, typically. This stick only has bulk usb endpoints and a max packet size of 512. Supporting this stick is actually going to require a fair bit of work in the em28xx driver core to support using bulk transfer instead of isochronous transfer.
>>
>> Short version: don't buy this stick right now, its going to be a little while before its actually supported.
>
> Jarod,
>
> Just an FYI:  bulk support for em2874/em2884 is on my todo list for
> the near future.

Ah, very cool. I'm inclined to wait and let you do that part, since you know em28xx much better than I do, and I'll just focus on the device-specific implementation details (gpio settings, wiring up tuner and demod, etc). I'm assuming you have some other manufacturer's em2874/em2884 based devices to work on this for... :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com