[mythtv-users] Question about switching from cable to satellite

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Oct 29 18:49:26 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 11:08:49PM -0400, Adam Jimerson wrote:
> Does the type of TV tuner being used matter when switching from cable to
> satellite?  I currently I have WinTv 950Q and would like to know if
> switching like that would make it useless or not.  If I need a new tuner
> can people here give recommendations on some that are MythTv and Linux
> friendly?

    The challenges of recording off of cable are pretty much the same
regardless of what sort of cable provider you have. Although there is
simply no QAM option with Satellite. Everything has to go through their
box. So trying to use an ATSC/QAM tuner to capture HD channels "in the
clear" is not an option with Satellite.

    I use 2 HD-PVRs with DirecTV. It's pretty comparable to my SD setup
which was just the same general arrangement but with a PVR150 in place
of the HD-PVR.

    You need to "remote control" the Satellite box and have a means to
record it's analog output.