[mythtv-users] OT: How can I disable Thermal Throttling on a Pentium4

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Oct 26 21:35:02 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, October 26, 2010 02:47:51 pm Kevin Ross wrote:
> On 10/26/2010 01:45 PM, Anthony Giggins wrote:
> > on the same lines as the AMD Cool & Quiet thread, I seem the remote is
> > slow to respond which I can only put down to this, anyone have any
> > ideas howto disable this, theres nothing in the BIOS to turn it off :(
> >
> > CPU1: Temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events =
> > 4924376)
> > CPU0: Temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events =
> > 4924376)
> > CPU1: Temperature/speed normal
> > CPU0: Temperature/speed normal
> > CPU1: Temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events =
> > 4924382)
> > CPU0: Temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events =
> > 4924382)
> > CPU1: Temperature/speed normal
> > CPU0: Temperature/speed normal
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Anthony
>
> This appears to be a different problem.  This looks like your CPU is
> overheating.

That, or the threshold is set too low.

But I agree it sounds like the system is doing what it is supposed to do, slowing the clock to protect the CPU from over-
heating.

Check the usual suspects, make sure the heatsink is well bonded to the CPU (thermal grease is properly applied), make sure
the CPU fan is running, there are no serious obstructions to airflow in the case etc.