[mythtv-users] DisplaySize = Full ?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 22:01:08 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 10:43 AM, mike at grounded.net <mike at grounded.net> wrote:
> I should add that when I first started looking at myth, I somehow got the impression that it could do digital output such as H.264 for example. I read some things which made me think that this is something it does, whether through software or encoders.

It does. It stores your recordings in digital form. This form is governed:

(a) on digital reception, by the codec sent by the broadcaster - the
broadcaster sends in mpeg2, mythtv saves it direct to hard drive in
mpeg2, broadcaster sends h.264, myth saves h.264 to disk. Myth does
not interfere, except to strip the streams out of the larger
"multiplex" of pids and save the ones you want in a mpeg2 ts wrapper.

(b) on analogue recordings (including STB's  outputting analogue
because you need the broadcaster's decryption stuff from the STB) it's
dependent on your encoding card. PVR 150/250/350/500 will hardware
encode to mpeg2 stream. HDPVR will encode to h.264. Analogue tuners
that use software encoding will do - actually I'm not sure as i never
used one!

In any event you end up with a digital stream. That digital stream is
sent to the frontend, over the network. So the backend outputs what it
is given - unless you tell myth to transcode along the way.