[mythtv-users] DisplaySize = Full ?

mike at grounded.net mike at grounded.net
Tue Oct 26 03:09:20 UTC 2010

> Some outputs aren't turned on unless the card detectes a "monitor" (by
> which I mean a display device, SDTV, monitor, HDTV etc) plugged in at
> boot time. Also settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf might restrict X to
> what monitors it starts on.

Yes, that's what I tried. I connected the HDMI port to the projector, then restarted the myth box. Only did it quickly so maybe I missed something. I'll give it another shot tomorrow.

> nvidia-settings, the programme should then run. It helps a lot in
> setting up twinview, multiple X etc etc.

It runs, just don't see any HDMI options.
I see X Screen 0, GPU 0 which has CRT-1 in it's section.
I'll reconnect the HDMI and reboot. As you said, if it's not connected at this point, maybe that's why it's not showing up.

> Well in the hierarchy of quality it is at the bottom:

> RF
> composite
> s-video

Yes, of course, but to get SD around to many TV's, it's the best, works perfectly.

> I am not sure what STB's you are referring to. What you need is a
> frontend at each TV. Your setup should only use STB's if that is the

I don't know either, I'm nowhere near there yet :).

> That is the ideal setup, I have found some of your earlier posts
> difficult to follow because you seemed to be contemplating some other
> architecture involving STB's all over the house. You can have as many
> STB's and as many frontends as your heart desires, bearing in mind you
> reach a point where your network and/or your disk IO gives up the
> ghost.

Originally, I was thinking along the lines of outputting to perhaps IP. I thought I might be able to put each video device onto it's own encoder, then into an IPTV stream perhaps, then use STB's at each TV which would tune into the different channels.
Not much to do with myth, it's just something I was curious about, and still am.