[mythtv-users] Slight stutter on playback, 0.23 on ION 330HT

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 14:15:07 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 9:10 AM, "Per J. Frøysa"
<per.froysa at broadpark.no> wrote:
> I have had this stuttering when subtitles are enabled (only then) on my
> 0.23 ION 330HT - from day 1.
> But, if "Slim" is degrading the quality of the picture - I would rather
> have it stutter.
>
> I have also noticed that stuttering is mentioned
> inhttp://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU#What_doesn.27t.3F but this has not
> been a topic among mythtv-users so I believed until now that I had a bad
> installation.
>
> Rendering some letters of subtitle seems be an expensive operation.
> Could any of the alternatives below eliminate this problem?
>
> A) Is subtitle rendering coded in a separate thread - separate from the
> VDPAU thread? Could we use realtime priorities?
> B) Wonder if Gnome has something to do with the rendering - should I use
> the more lightweight Xcfe?
> C) Install a clean mythbuntu? Is mythbuntu stuttering as well?
> D) Compile the .24 trunk on a clean 10.10 with an optimized config file?
> E) Give up and buy a heftier motherboard for the FE??

I wish I could give you some specific advise but hopefully what I have
will help.

If the problem only occurs every few minutes I wonder if it is some
sort of system service that's waking up on regular intervals? Have you
already disabled all non-essential services?

Also, while it probably isn't a resource issue, Gnome is a BIG full
featured DE. Why not try something more light weight? I used XFCE
early on but I actually like LXDE[1] the most. It's even more light
weight and I use it on my old Asus 701 netbook as well.

Richard

[1] http://wiki.lxde.org/en/Ubuntu