[mythtv-users] HD Homerun Recordings Randomly Breaking

Craig Ghareeb cghareeb at comcast.net
Sun Oct 24 23:36:22 UTC 2010

>>> It sounds like others are having this issue. Can anyone shed any light on
>>> what's causing the failed recordings?

>Have you ever gotten any farther? I am experiencing roughly the same symptom. But
>I have a few wrinkles on the problem space. I am running 0.22 from the gentoo
>ebuild and I have an HVR-1600 as well as an HDHR. Neither can tune two sets of
>channels anymore to record. All of the same channels can be tuned during "Watch TV"
>using either the HDHR or the HVR-1600. The channels I cannot tune anymore
>are the KNBC digital stations and the KCET digital stations. I use QAM over Charter.
>Charter packs both sets of those channels over the same frequency according to
>the silicondust website channel support pages.

>I have just enabled record in the backend log. And will continue to try to dig. But
>if anyone has solved the problem, let me know.

>I am happy to upgrade to 0.23.1 to fix the problem. But it seems pretty clear
>that this may not help.

I hate to the muddy the water, but here's my report:

Two 0.21 FE/BE combos, each in different owner's homes in the Comcast market in Grand Rapids, Michigan.  Each box has it's own HD Homerun for recordings.
On 10/16/2010, after many months of flawless HD Homerun recordings, both boxes inexplicably began 'recording' 0-byte files from the HDHomeRuns.
On 10/23/2010, both systems' HD Homeruns went back to recording without issue.  Both system owners were away from home from 10/10/2010 through 10/24/2010, so no changes, reboots, or other actions were taken on either system before or during this problem.  Only the lone cat-sitter reported that watching LiveTV (via the HD Homerun) worked fine during this period.

I'd love any insight as - at the moment - I can't reproduce the problem.

Craig