[mythtv-users] DVB-T recorder log - 'discontinuity detected' about twice a second

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sun Oct 24 21:38:20 UTC 2010

Hi: I've been trying to find out why one of the tuners in my
af9015-based dvb stick produces good recordings that die unexpectedly.

I ran "mythbackend -v none,record" and while it was making a test
recording got a blizzard of messages of the form

"2010-10-24 21:36:08.229 DVBRec(9:/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): PID
0x259 discontinuity detected"

(where 9 is the cardid) about twice a second before the recording died.
  Later, however,  when the system was recording several programmes, I
found that some of the virtual tuners were each generating their own
variants of this message at much the same rate, and their recordings did
_not_ fail.

In these cased the PID quoted is identified by ffmpeg as

Subtitle: dvbsub, and by Project-X as

Subpict.:
PID: 0x259(#5)(eng_0x10_p1_a1 ) or similar.

So it seems that these messages may not be a clue to my original
problem, but they do get in the way of efforts to solve it.  Do they
mean anything, and once I have seen them can I turn off their reporting
without stopping and restarting the backend?

Google found a very recent reference to this message and some from four
years ago.  I'm running 0.23-fixes in the UK.

John P