[mythtv-users] DisplaySize = Full ?

mike at grounded.net mike at grounded.net
Sat Oct 23 16:39:41 UTC 2010

Thanks Richard

> You can do both.
>
> 1.You can have 2 copies of mythfrontend running simultaneously, each
> directing output to a different output device. This would be done
> using 2 X sessions, each one having an input device (keyboard, mouse,
> remote control) and graphics card output. These can be running in two
> different resolutions and are effectively separate. This is less well
> documented, but a few people on this list do do this.
>
> 2.You can use X to send the same output to two different outputs
> simultaneously, this is using X clone-view to do this, but Myth
> frontend is sending just one output into X for renderering. So both
> outputs are identical, compromising on output resolution, alignment of
> the application on screen etc is usually necessary with SVideo
> outputs...
>
> In addition if you have two very different sized and quality TVs, the
> theme you pick for each maybe different. Many newer themes use thin
> fonts at smaller sizes due to make the most of the large HD sets that
> are typically used. These are unreadable on typically 30" CRTs that
> were common 6 or 7 years ago.

This is nice to know about so I'm sure many will make a note of it so it's appreciated.
In my case, what I am asking about is if there is a way to switch, using say the remote, between different resolutions.

In my case, for SD, I'm using a scan converter off of the VGA output into an RF modulator so I can pick up myth anywhere in the house on any TV by simply tuning in. So on the VGA output, I'd like to keep things at what was suggested to be composite size of 640x480 (which I thought was actually something else but that's the only reply I've seen).

When we want to sit in the living room and watch HD programs, we'll use the HDMI output that comes out of the nvidia card.

So my question is, will I need to switch between resolutions or will both devices be independent of each other?
I've not yet connected an HDMI TV to the myth box.

 From what I've read, it looks like I could set up various resolutions in xorg.conf, then be able to switch between them using the remote later on. Each, the VGA and HDMI outputs would have their own settings based on what I'm connecting them to so I could just switch between settings while watching TV.

Sorry if this sounds confusing, still new to myth so don't know all of the proper terminology yet.

Mike