[mythtv-users] directv script hangs when accessing serial port

Zach C uid000 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 05:01:57 UTC 2010

I'm using the directv.pl perl script to change channels on my
satellite box. Tonight, after upgrading to Ubuntu 10.10, it started
hanging when it attempts to open ttyUSB0. It worked fine before the
upgrade.

When I strace the script I see call open() on the serial device and it
blocks indefinitely. Has anyone experienced this?

In the following strace output we see my two print statements in the
init_serial function, along with a call to open() when perl attempts
to instantiate a new file handle.

write(1, "init serial\n", 12init serial
)           = 12
write(1, "about to create serial filehandl"..., 34about to create
serial filehandle
) = 34
open("/dev/ttyUSB0", O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_TRUNC|O_LARGEFILE, 0666

Here is the perl line that hangs:
my $serial=new FileHandle("+>$port") || die "Could not open $port: $!\n";

Thanks
Zach