[mythtv-users] Harmony 700?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 22:43:50 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 6:33 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So do all the Harmony remotes do that annoying thing where they have
>> "actions" like "Watch TV" or "Watch a DVD" that it forces you to use
>> or do some treat you like an adult and let you do things manually?
>>
>> I think the one my dad got was a 600 series model and we both were
>> pulling our hair out to get it to treat us like adults. He returned it
>> and neither of us have looked at the Harmony line since.
>>

> They do exactly what you program them to do.  You can have the watch
> tv button turn on the tv and the receiver and change inputs or you can
> have it just turn on the tv and leave other buttons to change the
> input and deal with the receiver.
>
> Personally, I like the macros a lot (and that is the big selling point
> of the harmony).  It is also nice if you have guests over, you don't
> need to tell them which remotes to use and which buttons to hit so
> that they can do something as simple as watch tv (or worse, have them
> screw things up).
>
> BTW, to people who have the charging issue, if you call Logitech and
> complain, even though they won't replace or fix it (if it is out of
> warranty), they will give you a 50% voucher to purchase a new remote
> on their website.  Not as good as actually fixing the defective
> product (and I understand the new cradles don't have this issue), but
> its something, esp if you want a second remote.

ahh, the one we had would not let you change the macro, so it always
did the same things based on what devices you had programmed in. very
annoying.

I like my MX-500 in that regard, custom programmable macro's. no
computer interface or color screen though, and *very* expensive...
I'll have to look at the Harmony line again.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!