[mythtv-users] Problem with Ubuntu upgrade

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Fri Oct 22 19:48:29 UTC 2010

On 22/10/2010 17:26, Greg Oliver wrote:
>>> Either way, if that still does not work, in /etc/my.conf (changes per

>> >  I found the my.conf file in /etc/mysql/my.conf
>> >
>> >  What am i looking for? in there? I did a search for 'localhost' and found
>> >  this.
>> >
>> >  # Instead of skip-networking the default is now to listen only on
>> >  # localhost which is more compatible and is not less secure.
>> >  bind-address            = 127.0.0.1
>> >  #
>> >
>> >  Is this the problem?
> That needs to be changed to your server's IP and mysql needs to be
> restarted.  Then re-run your connection test.
>
> -Greg

The file on my system is actually called my.cnf (not conf), but I assume
that's just Ubuntu's version of the same file.

I've tried setting my machine's LAN ip address as the bind-address. I've
also tried commenting out the bind-address line altogether.

Still can't log in!

I rebooted the machine between each change just to make sure that I'd
not made a mistake in restarting mysql.

The last line of the my.cnf file reads:
!includedir /etc/mysql/conf.d/

inside /etc/mysql/conf.d/ there are 3 files:
  mysqld_safe_syslog.cnf
  mythtv.cnf
  mythtv-tweaks.cnf

The contents of mythtv.cnf is:

[mysqld]
bind-address=0.0.0.0

and the contents of mythtv-tweaks.cnf is:

[mysqld]
# The following values were partly taken from:
# http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/90942#90942
table_cache = 128
sort_buffer_size = 48M
net_buffer_length = 8M
query_cache_type = 1
query_cache_size = 32M
# don't do binary logs for mythconverg
binlog_ignore_db = mythconverg

Does any of that point to anything that needs changing?

Damian