[mythtv-users] Control of / capture from UK VirginMedia HD STB

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 17:56:26 UTC 2010

On 22 October 2010 12:31, Michael PARKER <michael.parker at st.com> wrote:
>> My VirginMedia Scientific Atlanta 4200DVB STB died over the weekend and I'm told it'll be replaced tomorrow with a shiny, new V HD (not V+) box (Cisco
>> 4585DVB, apparently).
>>
>> The old 4200DVB was controlled by my Mythbox via a red-eye serial device (http://www.redremote.co.uk/serial) and AV captured as composite video + stereo
>> audio by a HVR-4000 card.
>>
>> Has anyone got any experience of controlling and/or capturing video from the new Cisco box?
>>

> Judging by the response, not too many UK MythTV users are capturing input from a VM STB.....

I capture from an older non-HD Samsung STB, using a composite feed
into a PVR-150 and a homebrew serial IR transmitter using the ntl RC-5
remote control config.

> FWIW, the above configuration works fine - I'm able to capture composite video + stereo audio from the V HD Box's SCART o/p (via the SCART->RCA convertor) into the HVR-4000 and can control the STB via the Red-Eye Serial (once switched from the IRDA mode required by the previous 4200DVB to RC-5 mode).

Good to know - should make it easy to use one of these boxes as a drop
-in replacement when my box eventually fails.

> Despite the installation guy being unsure whether video+audio were made available simultaneously via the HDMI and SCART outputs, I can confirm that they are, with SCART aspect ratio control being s/w controllable.

On behalf of future VM users, thanks very much for providing this
info. I'm not sure if there's a VM page on the wiki, but perhaps we
should start one?

Cheers,
Nick

--