[mythtv-users] Mac Mini as Frontend?

Torfinn Ingolfsen tingox at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 07:33:12 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 11:34 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> I'm now seeing some Minis for $179, certainly competitive with the
> ION-based units.
>
> Problem is these are the old G4 Minis, with Radeon graphics.
>
> I run (K)ubuntu on a G4 iBook and it works quite well, but I doubt that the
> Radeon 9xxx graphics would be of any use with
> Myth. I'm not even sure if Myth could be ported to the G4, or it it's
> already been done.

FWIW, I still run my old Mac mini G4 as a MythTV frontend, using OSX 10.4.
It is only SD, though. Works for me.

> Looks like Apple just can't make up their minds about graphics chips, or,
> for that matter, CPUs.
>
> I know keeping compatibility with older x86 CPUs has caused problems for
> Windows and Linux, but Apple's "heck with the
> customer" attitude bothers me, a machine I bought new less than 5 years ago
> should not be virtually abandoned by its
> maker, who basically tells me "you just have to upgrade". I am a customer,
> not a continuing revenue stream.
>
>  Anybody who hasn't figured out by now that Apple cares for their customers
in the Apple way ("don't worry about it; you will buy a new <insert hardware
gadget here> after our next announcement anyway") should just stay away from
Apple products. In other words; if anybody chooses to be an Apple customer,
it is "shut up and open your wallet" that goes.

Just my 0.002 eurocents.
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen