[mythtv-users] Myth 0.24 and Blu-ray

Tom Flair tom at graniteskies.net
Thu Oct 21 22:39:05 UTC 2010

One of my favorite additions to 0.24 is blu-ray playback.  I have a fan edit
of a certain trilogy that was released as  blu-ray format as well as a
handful of unencrypted discs that I've purchased that now play back
perfectly using the internal player.

Now that there is some support for pressed discs (
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/High_Definition_Disk_Formats), I wrote a quick
and dirty script to provide the necessary information to the KEYDB.cfg and
initiate the mythavtest program.   What I've noticed with playing back an
encrypted disk versus an MKV dump of the same disc is a lot of stuttering
and skipping.  As I currently only have one BD-ROM drive, I don't know if
this is a problem with the my drive not reading the data fast enough or a
side effect of decrypting and playing back the disc at the same time.

So, my question is this:  Is there a performance penalty for decrypting and
playing back a pressed disc on the fly or is there a defect with my drive or
settings inside Myth that I've overlooked?