[mythtv-users] Mac Mini as Frontend?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Oct 21 21:34:14 UTC 2010

On Thursday, October 21, 2010 11:28:13 am Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 10/21/2010 13:25, Matt Emmott wrote:
> > I believe these have mini-pciE slots for the wireless cards, which you
> > could replace with a CrystalHD decoder once the support in MythTV
> > matures. It appears that it will be supported in 0.24 as an
> > experimental feature.
>
> You're still stuck with that garbage GMA950.  You won't be able to run
> the OpenGL painter or renderer, which are heavily recommended over Xv.

I'm now seeing some Minis for $179, certainly competitive with the ION-based units.

Problem is these are the old G4 Minis, with Radeon graphics.

I run (K)ubuntu on a G4 iBook and it works quite well, but I doubt that the Radeon 9xxx graphics would be of any use with
Myth. I'm not even sure if Myth could be ported to the G4, or it it's already been done.

Looks like Apple just can't make up their minds about graphics chips, or, for that matter, CPUs.

I know keeping compatibility with older x86 CPUs has caused problems for Windows and Linux, but Apple's "heck with the
customer" attitude bothers me, a machine I bought new less than 5 years ago should not be virtually abandoned by its
maker, who basically tells me "you just have to upgrade". I am a customer, not a continuing revenue stream.