[mythtv-users] Ubuntu 10.10 upgrade and remote control problems

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Oct 21 04:21:04 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 9:09 PM, Bob Wiegand <bob_ml at stuffofmine.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-10-20 at 19:41 -0500, Bob Wiegand wrote:
>> On Wed, 2010-10-20 at 15:41 -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> > Crap, sorry, I think that may be 'rc-5-sz' instead of 'rc5-sz'. You can do a 'cat /sys/devices/virtual/rc/rc0/protocols' to see for sure. Any decoder enclosed in '[]' (square braces) is enabled.
>>
>> The list is:
>> rc5 nec rc6 jvc sony [rc5sz] [lirc]
>>
>> However, adding rc5sz to /etc/init.d/lirc isn't disabling it.
>
> Some additional info. I tried manually disabling:
>
> echo "-rc5sz" > /sys/devices/virtual/rc/rc0/protocols
>
> gives:
>
> -bash: echo: write error: Invalid argument
>
> The other protocols enable/disable with no problems.

Well that's not so hot. Probably some sort of wiring missing somewhere
in ir-sysfs.c in that kernel. The code in question has been updated
considerably since, which explains why this works for me and doesn't
for you. Not sure what to suggest here right now. Ah! Get v4l-utils
installed (v0.8.1 or later), then use ir-keytable to clear the
in-kernel keytable. (ir-keytable -d rc0 -c, iirc). Its a hack-around,
but it should work... (if there's no keytable to look up decoded
scancodes against, no keys will come through the input layer). The
other route you could go is to use lircd's devinput config and driver,
listening to the streamzap receiver's /dev/input/eventX device, and
ignore the raw IR coming from the lirc interface.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com