[mythtv-users] v4l Drivers

Jason Chambers lists at purplish-monkey.com
Wed Oct 20 21:25:32 UTC 2010

On 20/10/2010 21:54, mike at grounded.net wrote:
> [root at my10 ~]# aplay -L
> default
> front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
>     Front speakers
> surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
>     4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
> surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
>     4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
>     5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
> surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
>     5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
>     7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
> iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Digital
>     IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
>
> I only have the regular analog output connected in testing this at the moment.
>
> Am I using it correctly this time? I'm wanting to output via the regular analog speaker output on the card.
>
> aplay -D front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0 Front_Left.wav
> aplay: main:654: audio open error: Device or resource busy

The -D option is correct now.

However something else is already has the device open, hence the "Device
or resource busy" message.  Make sure you stop all audio/visual programs
(e.g. Myth, mplayer, VLC etc) when trying this command.  Also not sure
if pulse audio or other sound systems are installed on your system.  So
you may need to stop them too.

Also I'm assuming Front_Left.wav is the soundclip from the ALSA
distribution for the speaker-test program and probably located somewhere
like /usr/share/sounds/alsa.

If I try to play those directly I get the error "aplay: set_params:1059:
Channels count non available" as the files are mono.  So once you solve
the "Device or resource busy" error, you might want to try using a
normal wav file, or speaker-test command instead:

$ speaker-test -c 2 -t wav -D front

This will run in a loop saying the words "Front Left", "Front Right" out
of the respective speaker until you kill it, so you can check you've
wired them up the right way and adjust your levels using alsamixer etc.
 See speaker-test(1) for more details.

Regards,
Jason