[mythtv-users] Swapping PCI cards kills X

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 19:09:23 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-20 at 09:21 -0500, mike at grounded.net wrote:
> >I have and use the HVR-1600 card. Its connected like this:
> >
> >Motorola DCT-700 Set Top Box ('To TV/VCR' Output) ->
> >RG-6 Cable ->
> >HVR-1600 Tuner ('TV' connector)
> So the question is, would there be a benefit in using one of my low power blades with a pvr-500 and having a backend

I don't have any firsthand experience with the PVR-500, so sorry,
I can't answer if it would work in a low power blade. But if you're
thinking of setting up a slave backend, my recommendation to you is:
Wait until you have your combined master backend/frontend fully
functional (then go for it.)

> or would I be better off using the 1600's input capabilities?

With all due respect, I don't understand your question. I thought
you were already using the HVR-1600 for analog input from a set top
box. I /really/ suggest printing your physical connections like I did
above.  It makes things easier to discuss.

> At the moment, I can't recall if the 1600 can capture and record from atsc at the same time, that would be about the only possible loss I can imagine I guess.

Taking the liberty of rephrasing the above: Can the HVR-1600 allow
MythTV to record analog and digital signals at the same time?  Yes.

  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HVR-1600

In my experience, however, recording from both inputs at the same time
may cause the analog audio issue discussed in the link above. It doesn't
happen every time. I believe my imaginary 'no audio counter' is at 5 for
the year.

Bill Meek