[mythtv-users] v4l Drivers

mike at grounded.net mike at grounded.net
Wed Oct 20 14:59:37 UTC 2010

> 1. Make sure you can output sound from another program, like mplayer,
> playing a different clip, one you know has sound.

I stopped the front end and fired up movie player. I browsed to my storage directory and picked one of the shows I've recorded.
While the audio is very low, probably something turned down, it's there just fine.

I then went to the front end, picked the same show using the Watch Recordings screen and no audio.

Using the same tool, I picked the Watch TV on DVB Adapter 0 and get an error.
'Totem is missing a channels listing to be able to tune the receiver'
I didn't want to deal with that so moved on to mplayer.

When I fired up mplayer, I get a logo and nothing else. I moved on to vlc.

> 2. Play a recording from the HVR-1600 using the same media player that
> produced sound in step one, to make sure the recording itself is missing
> sound, and it isn't some other problem.

VLC plays the mpg files with audio.
Tried vlc with capture device /dev/video0.
Tried common options to watch live video but need to read up on using vlc with the 1600 I guess.

I appreciate the input of course.
And yes, my threads do get long sometimes, most notably when they are taken off track it seems.
I'm hoping that will change as people get to know me on the list :).

Mike