[mythtv-users] BBC One HD to start in test at least on 3rd November.

Paul Gray lists at laser-point.co.uk
Wed Oct 20 11:11:59 UTC 2010

On 19/10/2010 12:10, Andre wrote:

> On 19 Oct 2010, at 12:40, Paul Gray wrote:
>
>> On 19/10/2010 10:55, George Poulson wrote:
>>> On 19 October 2010 10:39, Andre<mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
>>> <mailto:mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk>>  wrote:
>>>
>>>     I have one lnb feed shared to two DVBS cards using loop through
>>>     <http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users>
>>>

>>> This sounds like i could be an interesting option for me.. which [HD]
>>> cards do you use that provide 'loop through'?
>>
>> Yeah, that's interesting. My setup is SD only via Freeview. I was
>> intending to wait for HD until the digital switchover, but it's
>> another year away here in Oxford. Also there's no guarantee we'll
>> have DVB-T2 cards plus working linux drivers by then even. So I'm
>
> This will be an excellent solution with four HD channels in one mux, multirec will be great...

Oh yes, I never thought of that, so we'd just need the one tuner to get
all the HD channels.

> If drivers get developed (a usb stick is supposedly available soon), if the hardware allows full mux tuning, if the hardware can deliver the full mux without problems, if the drivers can handle 40Mb/s without problems! Hopefully it will get significant attention but most of the linux-media driver developers seem to be in the USA.

My thoughts exactly. Driver writers outside the UK, besides lacking the
incentive, are going to have difficulty testing.

> Oh and Freeview HD uses AAC surround audio rather than AC3, will need support for that too, even with loopthough very very few surround sound amps will decode it.

Is that a problem then? I'm used to linux handling whatever is thrown
at it.

> I'm hoping that linux support is available and stable by the time our local tx gets it, mid 2012.
>
> Freesat works now.

Exactly. I'm just thinking, why hang around waiting, although still
no CH4 HD I guess.

>> thinking I should bite the bullet with Freesat.
>>
>> Any advice? Maybe a list of articles I should read?
>
> There's a bunch of stuff in the wiki and there have been some excellent threads here on combining Freesat&  Freeview effectively.
>

>> I've been getting
>> away with a single HDD in my backend so far with a Nova-T 500 with
>> it's two tuners both split into 2 virtual tuners. Will I need dedicated
>> HDDs for HD recording?
>
> If you record loads of stuff a couple of modern disks as well as your system disk (logs and database especially) should be fine.
> Recording any HD with only one disk is a bit risky and of course the only decent shows in proper HD on ITV seem to always be at the same time as the only decent shows on BBC HD!
>
> Again the wiki has loads on disk optimisation and system layout.

I guessed adding a couple of discs would do it. Just wondering if
that's really necessary, and what the experiences are of people
who have tried with just the one disc.

Cheers,
	Paul.