[mythtv-users] Problem with record 'The Closer'

Jim Morton Jim at Morton.hrcoxmail.com
Tue Oct 19 14:20:59 UTC 2010

On 10/19/2010 10:04 AM, Greg wrote:
>  On 10/19/2010 08:24 AM, Jim Morton wrote:
>>  My system is having problems recording 'The Closer' on TBS. This has
>> happened several days in a row despite rebooting everything.
>> The symptoms - the audio gets further out of sync as you watch the
>> show. At about 35-40 minutes in, it starts stuttering and echoing for
>> a couple minutes, getting progressively worse to the point that the
>> audio is not even understandable and then it just stops recording.
>> It is being recorded from an HDPVR that is just 2 months old. (I did
>> hook it up to a windows box and updated the firmware when I got it.)
>> Other recordings from the same tuner seem to be fine.
>>
>> I'm suspecting the HDPVR but would expect all recordings from it to
>> be bad. Can anyone point to any other possible culprit?
>>
>> <snip>
>>
> Post your computer stats:
>
> 2010-10-18 14:00:28.007 JobQueue: Commercial Flagging Starting for
> Comedy Central Presents recorded from channel 2107 at Mon Oct 18
> 14:00:00 2010
> 2010-10-18 13:59:57.211 Started recording: The Closer "Mom Duty":
> channel 2138 on cardid 12, sourceid 2
> 2010-10-18 14:00:33.009 ProgramInfo(): Updated pathname '':'' ->
> '2138_20101018140000.mpg'
> 2010-10-18 14:00:33.011 JobQueue: Commercial Flagging Starting for The
> Closer "Mom Duty" recorded from channel 2138 at Mon Oct 18 14:00:00 2010
>
> I really  think you are overtaxing your computer..You are recording
> The Closer plus Commerical flagging 2 recordings...  I would turn off
> auto start commercial detection at the start of a recording and see if
> that doesn't help solve your problem...

Motherboard - Foxconn A7DA-S
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7Ghz dual core
Video - Asus silent GeForce 8400GS 64bit PCIe
Ram - Kingston 4GB PC2 8500

All those shows are daily so you may be on to something here. It is set
to do all the same things again today at 2pm. I will run top and watch it.

On second thought, I think I'll just try your suggestion. My wife might
kill me if it screws up The Closer again.

Thanks for the pointer, I'll post my findings.