[mythtv-users] need suggestions for remote for frontend

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Oct 19 13:38:50 UTC 2010

On Oct 19, 2010, at 7:40 AM, Ryan Duffy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a dedicated frontend running on a Revo 3610.
>
> I have a remote which came with my Hauppauge TD500 which I used to use, but the sensor for the remote plugs into the TV card, and as I have separated my frontend onto the Revo I can no longer use this.
>
> I took the advice of buying an MCE remote which most people say will work, but alas the one I got has most of its buttons not working (I only have volume, numbers and a few others working but I need to be able to use all the buttons). irw shows nothing for the buttons that don't work, so it seems that this remote really isn't currently supported. I think I got unlucky and got a remote which happens to have some unusual hardware in it which happens to not be supported (yet?). I tried ubuntu 10.10 but still no luck.

You didn't get an mceusb-compatible receiver, which is what the suggestion is. You got one of the pure HID receivers. They decode in hardware and send HID events, some of which X knows what to do with natively (thus volume, numbers and a few others working). This device *is* usable with lirc using its devinput driver, or using eventlircd or inputlirc.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com