[mythtv-users] BBC One HD to start in test at least on 3rd November.

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Tue Oct 19 09:39:19 UTC 2010

On 18 Oct 2010, at 20:43, Nick Morrott wrote:

> On 18 October 2010 15:46, Robert Longbottom <RobertCL at iname.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks for the info, they had to choose a week when I don't have ready access to my system! Looks like BBC HD is still working for me so far...
>>>
>>> A mux retune over a remote X session can be a painful experience even with adsl2+m!
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>

>> Hmm , interesting. Thanks for the heads up.  BBC 1 HD will be nice. Shame they've now put BBC 4 on a different frequency now though, I'm sure that at the minute 1-4 are all on the same which is excellent for multirec :)
>
> Why not move one or more of the other BBC1 regional variants to make
> space, and have BBC4/CBeebies on the same mux as BBC1-3?
>
> I was at the FLOSS UK Unconference at the weekend and put on an
> impromptu (even by Unconference standards) MythTV Q&A. One of the
> questions asked was about Freesat and multirec, and the example I used
> was how useful it was to have the four main BBC channels on the same
> mux. Talk about timing :)

There are some other nice tricks that mythtv enables.

I have one lnb feed shared to two DVBS cards using loop through, to avoid any lnb band or polarity switching trouble I only have low band vertical muxes in that source, that gets me BBC HD and ITV HD simultaneously which is all I want out of those cards, I get STV HD too which leads to a few extra recordings here and there.

Most of the freesat public channels are low band, they are spread across H & V though, two feeds could be spread across four cards very usefully though.

You can get passive splitters with dc passthough on one leg only these are ideal for this trick, this only came about when I discovered that band & polarity switching had failed on one of my DVBS cards and the realisation that it had been happily recording BBC HD & ITV HD for months after the failure :-)

Or passive splitter:

http://www.reichelt.de/?ACTION=3;GROUP=F5;GROUPID=3536;ARTICLE=75183;SID=28vrO7MKwQARwAAHfEhro5ff08589f8f7949175b1746757f22d23

and DC blocker:

http://www.reichelt.de/?;ACTION=3;LA=444;GROUP=F63;GROUPID=3540;ARTICLE=55216;START=0;SORT=artnr;OFFSET=16;SID=28vrO7MKwQARwAAHfEhro5ff08589f8f7949175b1746757f22d23