[mythtv-users] Problem with Ubuntu upgrade

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Oct 18 20:04:25 UTC 2010

On Monday, October 18, 2010 01:53:42 pm Damian wrote:
>   Hello all,
>
> I just updated my Ubuntu to the latest version.
>
> During this process, it asked me questions about phpmyadmin and using
> dbconfig-common to reconfigure it (or something like that!).
> I tried to do as it wanted, but it repeatedly asked me for a password
> and nothing I put in there worked. I tried the root password and the
> mythtv password. I tried entering nothing and even tried historical
> versions of the password that my keepass had saved, but nothing worked
> so I had to skip the step.
>
> Now MythTV doesn't seem to be able to access the database. It just
> thinks that the backend isn't running (this is the master backend and
> front end machine I'm talking about).
>
> I have logged in to the mysql database via phpmyadmin and backed up the
> database. I have also backed it up using
>
> mysqldump -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg -c > mythtv_backup.sql
>
> (one of these backups is about 12 Mb and the other is about 14 Mb ..
> don't know if that's relevant?)
>
> What should I do from here?
>
> The Mythbuntu Control centre seems to want me to select repositories and
> re-run updates, but I feel like getting everything back on track before
> I do anything else.
>
> Oh yes, I should say that this is an Ubuntu system with Mythbuntu added
> to it, not a pute Mythbuntu system.
>
> Hope someone can help!

Sorry to say I can't help directly, but I wanted to mention something:

From many years of observing logs and watching attempted system breakins and various hacks, I have noticed that phpmyadmin
is one of the top targets of the "bad guys" (tm).

I have concluded that no matter how much phpmyadmin might look like a simple and easy way to administer MySQL, it's just
too much of a target to risk using it.

We once set up a system that appeared to allow root access with the password "root", and almost half the people who "got
in" looked for phpmyadmin within minutes if not seconds.

I'm sure it can be secured by a well-informed sysadmin, but I just don't want to paint a large target on my systems.

Granted "it's only TV", but...

Just something to be aware of.