[mythtv-users] FCC releases CableCard changes

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Oct 18 16:16:08 UTC 2010

On Monday, October 18, 2010 10:06:54 am Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 10/18/2010 11:49, Ben Kamen wrote:
> > On 10/18/2010 10:39 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
> >> Tivo users are probably at least a little more socially acceptable.
> >
> > What about microsoft users?
>
> Windows Media Center has a system set up to allow secure network viewing
> of cablecard recorded content on a Media Center Extender.  Apparently
> TiVo does not.
>
> They are still restricted by any export controls.  Content must be
> authorized by the cable company at time of playback, and you can't take
> an offline copy on your laptop/PMP/optical disk.

I know next to nothing about the MCE options, my  home is a Microsoft Free Zone, except for a dedicated machine running
PlayOn, which is relegated to the garage.

It sounds like they are storing the encrypted file, and sending it encrypted over the network?

Does this mean the MC Extender needs to have a CableCard? Another rental fee?